The $10,000 First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) is available to eligible first home buyers in Victoria who build or purchase a new home. This federal government initiative is administered and funded by the Victorian State Government.
Who qualifies as an eligible applicant?
There are five key eligibility criteria:
- You cannot have previously received a grant in any state or territory of Australia. This also applies to an applicant’s spouse or partner
- Secondly, you as the applicant, or your spouse or partner, must not have owned residential property before 1 July 2000.
- You must intend to live in the property for at least 12 months.
- You must be a natural person aged at least 18 years at the time of settlement or completion of construction.
- At least one applicant must also be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident.
It's important to note if you have a spouse or partner, this person will also have to satisfy some requirements as part of the application. Anyone who will be named on the property’s title must be listed as a FHOG applicant. Importantly, you must also include your spouse/partner’s details on the FHOG application form, regardless of whether they’re going to be on the property’s title.